Before Intravenous Sedation or General Anesthesia
Home Instructions Before Oral Surgery
Please follow these instructions to prepare for oral surgery with IV sedation or general anesthesia.
- You may not have anything to eat or drink (including water) for 6 hours prior to the surgery. If your doctor has prescribed medications to be taken 1 hour prior to surgery, these should be taken with no more than 4 ounces of water only.
- No smoking for at least 12 hours before surgery.
- A responsible adult must accompany the patient to the office, remain in the office during the procedure, and drive the patient home.
- The patient should not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following anesthesia.
- Please wear loose-fitting clothing with sleeves that can be rolled up past the elbow.
- Contact lenses, jewelry, and dentures must be removed at the time of surgery.
- Do not wear lipstick, excessive makeup, or nail polish on the day of surgery.
- If you have an illness such as a cold, sore throat, upset stomach or upset bowels, please notify the office.
- If you take oral medications, please check with our doctors prior to your surgical date for instructions.